Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pennant Banner DIY

I was given this project on Monday for a wedding shower my boss is decorating for this weekend, and was so excited to get started. I have seen pennant banners all over Pinterest but never made one for myself. I know that there are plenty of DIYs on how to make these all over the internet, but I wanted to do a step by step tutorial of how I assembled mine! Also, I had no idea that Hobby Lobby carried pre-cut burlap and canvas triangles! Who knew?!



What you need:

  • X-Large Patterned Pennants (I found mine at Hobby Lobby, but you can make your own from any fabric or paper you desire.)
  • Large Solid Pennants (You need the smaller pennants to be a solid color so you can write on them. White or off white look best.)
  • Fabric sharpies
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Clothespins
  • Jute Rope
  • Small flowers (or other decorations) to add a little flair
First you'll need to figure out what your banner is going to say. Since I made my banner for a wedding shower, it says "Amanda & Jason". After you figure out what your banner will say, count the letters--that is how many different pennants you will need to put together. 

Next, pick a font that you can re-create on the banners. I always use dafont.com because you can download the fonts for free. If you don't want to download the font, you can always type in text to preview on the page. The font I chose for the banner in this DIY is called Janda Curly. 


Next, practice lettering in that font before starting on the pennants. I practiced using the fabric sharpie, so I would know how it wrote.


Start the banner by writing the desired phrase on the banner, then glue each large solid triangle to x-large triangles. 


After each pennant was assembled, I added a variety of cardboard and fabric flowers to add a little something extra to the banner. Because I used a burlap background, these details give the banner a flair--if you are using a patterned background then this probably isn't necessary. 



When you have finished hot gluing the triangles and details, you can hang the pennants on the jute rope! If pennants are smaller you can use one large clothespin, but I used two medium sized clothespins on each banner. 


Voila! A simple, cute banner great for any occasion. 





No comments:

Post a Comment